West Essex Foundation for EducationCelebrating a Successful Fourth Year!West Essex Foundation for EducationInformation from WEFE President Michielle Kupferberg
WEST ESSEX FOUNDATION FOR EDUCATION ANNOUNCES DISTRIBUTION OF GRANTS TO SUPPORT EXCELLENCE IN EDUCATION FOR STUDENTS IN THE
WEST ESSEX REGIONAL SCHOOL DISTRICT
NORTH CALDWELL, N.J., September 13 2017 -- The West Essex Foundation for Education, a non-profit, parent-run organization that enhances the quality of education for all students in the West Essex Regional School District, announced the distribution of nine new grants that support academic excellence in the district’s middle and high schools. The grants were awarded to augment existing curricula and provide new educational opportunities in the following areas:
- Technology: State-of-the-art Apple Macintosh computer laboratory
- Social Studies: A traveling exhibit on United States history will be on display for the 2017-2018 academic year. The exhibit is provided by the Gilder Lehrman Institute of American History, the nation’s leading American history organization dedicated to K-12 education.
- Physical Education: Mechanical baby prototypes will be used as educational tools during lessons on practical child care in 12th grade health classes.
- Fine Arts: A commercial grade color printer and scanner compatible with laptop for teacher and student chromebooks will be available for use in classes including Fashion Illustration and Advanced Placement Art History.
- Mathematics: WeBwork Online, a dynamically generated homework software program, addresses topics in all levels of calculus classes and allows students to complete homework while receiving immediate online feedback. The questions asked assess Common Core curriculum standards.
Our MissionThe mission of the West Essex Foundation for Education is to enhance the quality of education in the West Essex Regional School District by providing financial support for innovative programs that enrich student achievement and promote excellence in education.Quick Links:News & Events
- Audio Visual: Equipment was acquired to facilitate the West Essex Lip Dub, a music video that combines use of lip-synching and audio dubbing and filmed and produced by students, faculty and staff to encourage school spirit, pride and camaraderie. The first Lip Dub took place at West Essex High School during the last school year
West Essex Middle School
- Reading Resource Room: Plans are underway to develop and procure a classroom library environment for reading.
- World Languages: Independent reading materials will be obtained for students taking Spanish.
- Science: The department will acquire Breakout Boxes, educational games and puzzles that will allow 7th grade students to use critical thinking and teamwork as learning tools to supplement all curriculum units taught.
“The West Essex Foundation for Education is grateful for the generous support from families, organizations and businesses in our community that help make these grants possible,” said Michielle Kupferberg, President, West Essex Foundation for Education. “We look forward to planning additional programs that can help the district gain access to the most advanced learning tools and resources available.”
About the West Essex Foundation for Education
The West Essex Foundation for Education facilitates events, activities and fundraisers to help provide financial contributions towards innovative programs that enrich student achievement and promote excellence in education. All funds raised go to the West Essex Regional School District in the form of grants to departments and teachers to encourage and recognize new approaches to education and supplement resources already provided by the district. Any West Essex Regional School District educator, counselor, librarian and nurse may apply for a grant individually or in collaboration with their grade levels, subject areas, disciplines, and/or school as a whole.
During the 2016-2017 school year, WEFE held their first senior student Fashion Snow event with clothing generously on loan from Lord & Taylor, raising $33,000 to support the West Essex Regional School District classrooms.
“We applaud the West Essex Foundation for Education in their work to enhance the educational experience for our district’s 1700 students,” said Barbara Longo, Superintendent of Schools. “These grants, coupled with the extraordinary efforts of our district’s educators and administrators, help to make the West Essex Schools an even greater environment for all to learn and thrive.”
For more information about the West Essex Foundation for Education, including how to volunteer or contribute, please contact Michielle Kupferberg, 646-319-1273.