In accordance with the state requirements outlined in the Excellent Educators for New Jersey (EE4NJ) initiative, the West Essex Regional School District has adopted a new teacher/principal evaluation system. To oversee the development and implementation of the new evaluation system, West Essex has created a District Evaluation Advisory Committee (DEAC) that represents all of the stakeholders involved: teachers, building administrators, district administrators, parents, and Board of Education.
The DEAC committee has collaborated and agreed upon the following key components of our new teacher evaluation system:
- Charlotte Danielson's Framework for Effective Teaching was selected as the assessment rubric for teachers.
- Teachscape was selected as the online program to collect, maintain, and analyze data obtained from observations.
- The 4 evaluation ratings will be 1=Unsatisfactory, 2=Developing, 3=Proficient, 4=Distinguished
- Teachers volunteered for practice observations that were conducted in January of 2013.
- Beginning Feb. 13, 2013, all teacher observations will be conducted using the Danielson rubric and Teachscape online program.
- Annual Performance Reports, however, will continue to be done on original evaluation forms.
West Essex has also formed School Advisory Panels at both the Middle and High Schools to oversee activities linked to teacher evaluation and effectivness, including mentoring and identifying professional development opportunities.